10/6/10

Yellow Jackets, Wasps, and Hornets, Oh My!!!!

     If you have read my bio, you know that my family and I are currently living in my parents tiny, old, farmhouse, which is completely surrounded by cornfields and cows.  It is beautiful and quiet, like a scene from a gas station postcard.
     I am thankful to have a place to stay, but living in the middle of nowhere has its downfalls.  See, although I am a Texas girl, I am not a country girl.  There are  many more things I don't like about the country than I do specifically, bugs.  I hate, hate, hate, bugs.  Especially, ones that have nests and stingers. There are tons of them here.
Yellow jackets, wasps and hornets  Oh My!
    A few days ago, I was summoned to battle my flying foes.  My children were in dire need of their pool toys, which we store in a garage type building, behind the house. (yes it's October, and we are still swimming)
    Unaware, of the danger that lay ahead, I opened the door and stepped inside.  Instantly, I was attacked by dozens of wasps.  They dive bombed my shirt and swarmed  my face. I quickly stepped backwards and slammed the door. Thankfully I was able to escape without injury.
     Obviously, I couldn't let these nasty little creatures hold our pool toys hostage.  This meant war.  I had to rescue those toys or get stung trying!
     I needed protection and weapons.  I found the OFF, and doused every inch of my skin in it . Then, after digging through my weapons cabinet, ( the underside of my kitchen sink)  I armed myself with  long range wasp spray.    
     This time I gently sneaked open the door, stepped inside and began shooting (spraying) my way over to the floaties.  My spray can wasn't enough.  I could only shoot one wasp at at time. I was forced to retreat. I needed something more like a machine gun.... no more like a bomb!
     As entertaining as it was watching mom battle her fear of wasps, my four kids were loosing their patience, they were ready to swim.  So, I grabbed a bug bomb and a bandanna for a mask. 
     Protected, armed, and looking a little like a crazed bandit, I opened the door again. I pulled the pin on the grenade (pushed the plastic button on the can) and hurled it across the garage. I waited five minutes, for the smoke to clear and marched inside. 
    Ah Ha!! Victory was mine!  No wasps in sight! I grabbed our beloved noodles, goggles, and kick boards and dashed out the door.
     My family danced and cheered!  My son even awarded me with a kiss for my bravery!
   
Okay so whats the point of this silly story?
     First, I just needed to brag about  facing my fear of wasps.  Oh the things we do for our kids......
   
     Second, all the battling reminded me that God gives us weapons to fight with.  We don't have to be afraid to forge through tough circumstances, face our fears, or stand up for what is right.  God always with us and He gave us a cabinet full of weapons with instructions how to use them. How great is that?

Lord, thanks for taking care of us and giving us the tools to fight against evil. May God guard, guide, and direct you us as we battle our fears.  In Jesus' name, Amen



The Armor of God
Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV)

 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, ... Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.


Blessings my sweet friends and family!

Leah


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love, love, love, comments and I would love to leave you one too!